Choosing to adopt a child is a beautiful decision, but taking the first steps can be daunting. Parents looking to adopt in Louisiana can find the connections they need through St. Elizabeth Foundation! Our adoption agency provides the care, guidance, and support you need to work through adoption challenges and bring your new baby home. Here’s how you can begin.
How to Start the Adoption Process
Adopting a child through St. Elizabeth Foundation is a linear, seven-step process. Parents looking to adopt through our Louisiana agency must undergo education, home studies, and counseling in addition to filling out their adoption forms. While this process can feel daunting at the beginning, the journey is worthwhile—no matter how long. Here’s how you can begin the road to adoption.
- Ensure that you qualify. If you and your spouse have been married for five years or more, you are good to go!
- Fill out a formal application. This may take some time, but our experts are here to help and encourage you along the way.
- Complete a home study. This portion of the process ensures that your home is safe and compatible with your new child.
- Work through our education program. This program, taken with other adopting families, gives you the tools you need to be ready for adoption challenges.
- Wait to be chosen. Prepare a profile book to allow birth mothers to get to know more about you. If they choose you as a match, you will move forward with your adoption!
- Understand the legalities of adoption. We make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities in your adoption, as well as how to proceed with the specific openness of your adoption.
If your baby’s birth mother opts for open or semi-open adoption, the team at St. Elizabeths can act as a bridge for communication. From organizing meetings with the birth mother or parents to providing post-placement counseling, we make sure that your adoption is wrapped up smoothly.
Support for Parents Looking to Adopt in Louisiana
While you work through the technical processes of adoption, you may feel overwhelmed by the details. This is where counseling and finding support from other adoptive families can help! At St. Elizabeth Foundation, we offer professional counseling services to our parents looking to adopt in Louisiana. From discussing your excitement to your anxiousness, we are here to help you process each emotion throughout your adoption journey.
In addition to speaking with our professionals, the support of others who can empathize with your experience is invaluable. Connecting with families who have gone through the adoption process can help you navigate the ups and downs you may face along the way. And, you can also reach out to other families who are adopting through St. Elizabeth. Together, you can provide each other encouragement as your approach the time when you can bring your new child home!
Begin Your Adoption Journey with St. Elizabeth Foundation
St. Elizabeth Foundation is ready to help you connect with your future child. Parents looking to adopt through our Louisiana agency can partner with our caring staff members to guide them from start to finish. If you’re ready to begin or want to learn more about our adoption agency, send us a message or give us a call at 225-769-8888. We can’t wait to help you expand your family through adoption!