Parents come in all shapes and sizes. We know that well in St. Elizabeth Foundation. But not everybody qualifies to be an adoptive parent. Discover more and find out how to adopt a baby in Louisiana from the professionals at St Elizabeth.
Requirements to Adopt
As with many things in life, there are certain requirements you have to fulfill to take part in them. The same thing goes for adoption. In the state of Louisiana, potential adoptive parents must meet the following requirements:
- Potential adoptive parents must have enough bedroom space for an incoming child. Of course, there are some loopholes to this. For example, a child may share a bedroom with another child of the same sex. However, they cannot share with anyone over the age of 18.
- Potential parents must also have enough income to meet their family’s needs. Some people may see this as discriminatory, but trust us when we say that it isn’t. It is to ensure that the family can afford to raise a new child and that they have the best quality of life possible.
- In the state of Louisiana, adoptive parents can be single, married, divorced, or widowed. However, at St. Elizabeth, we choose couples who have been married for at least five years. Like with everything else, we do this because we want children to have their best shot at life.
- Did you know that foster/adoptive parents cannot have more than five children under the age of 18? And this includes foster children and their own children. While it may seem odd at first, it ensures the children have the best quality of life.
- Has someone residing in your home been convicted of certain criminal offenses? If so, you may not be able to adopt.
- Adoptive parents must also be healthy and mentally stable. Every adult in the home has to provide a medical statement completed by a physician. This statement should indicate they are free of communicable diseases such as tuberculosis. If you or someone else in the home does have a communicable disease, don’t worry—it’s not the end. All you need is a note from a physician saying that you are compliant with your treatment.
If you have any questions about the requirements to become an adoptive parent in Louisiana, don’t be afraid to get in contact with us. We’re more than happy to help you, especially if you’re looking for a new bundle of joy in your life.
St. Elizabeth Process
Want to see if you qualify for St. Elizabeth? All you have to do is go through our simple process. After filling out a formal application, we review it and begin a home study. If you pass our home study, we move you to our education program. This program helps you learn more about adoption and how to become the best adoptive parent you can be. After all, adoption isn’t only about your interests—it’s also about the child. After, we go through any legal necessities and help the birth mother choose the right family for her. At this stage, she is shown a family profile book and can choose the perfect family.
Simple, right? Of course, every adoption situation is different, so your experience may have differences from others. But that’s why we’re here every step of the way.
Getting In Contact With St. Elizabeth
There are several ways to go about adoption in the state of Louisiana. If you choose us, we’re more than happy to help you with every step in your adoption journey. So, why wait? Begin the process today, and get in touch with one of our representatives.