Our lives are full of twists and turns. But no matter what brought you here, adoption may be the choice for you. Adoption is a beautiful choice that can add to your growing family. Although, the real question is if it’s right for you and your family. Discover what adoption typically entails and see if you can find your next family member with St. Elizabeth Foundation in Lafayette. We look forward to helping you learn more about the adoption process.
Questions to Ask Yourself
Before you make a serious decision, it’s always good to ask yourself if this is the right choice for you and your family. But what should you ask yourself before pursuing adoption? While every experience needs different questions, here are some that may put you on the right path.
- Am I okay with not being related to the child? While we may believe that blood has little to do with family, not everyone agrees.
- Can I afford it? A child is a lot of money. It’s always best to make sure that you have the money to support yourself and a new child comfortably.
- Am I doing this because I want to, or because I feel like I have to? There’s a big push in the South regarding the “biological clock.” This presumes that you have to have a child or else your family isn’t complete. But every family is different, and your needs might not be what you think they are.
- Am I okay with birth parent contact? Louisiana is a closed-adoption state. But when you go through an agency like ours, semi-open and open adoptions are possible. And this choice is entirely up to the birth parent at St. Elizabeth Foundation.
- Do I need to go through any grief? If you want to choose adoption due to infertility, it’s very common to feel grief. But adopting won’t remove that grief like you think it might. Perhaps think about going through care in order to better prepare yourself so you can give your possible adoptive child the best outcome.
- Why do I want to adopt? This question may seem simple. But everyone’s reasoning can come from a different place. Look at your motivations and see if your reasoning is what’s healthy for you and your new possible child.
And, of course, because everyone’s situation and needs are different, there may be questions that don’t apply to you or more that you need to ask yourself. So before you make a decision, ask yourself the important questions. And see if adoption is the right choice for you.
St. Elizabeth Requirements
At St. Elizabeth Foundation, we pride ourselves on finding the right parents for babies who just need a family. Discover more about our adoption process and see if you qualify! Currently, we require couples to be married for a minimum of five years in order to qualify to apply and begin the process.
After you qualify, we begin the home study process. While this does take some time, this is important to ensure your home meets our standards. During this time, families must undergo background checks, visits, emotional and relationship assessments, and parenting philosophy discussions.
Prospective parents can also look forward to our education program. This helps to inform parents about the unique attributes that adoptive parents face, how to help your children understand adoption, and more. Also, in order for our expectant mothers to get to know you, we also have you create a family profile book. With this, she can choose you to parent her child.
Finally, we help you finalize your adoption by the court. Depending on the type of adoption, this can go a little differently than others. If you have any questions about this or any other part of the adoption process and how it might look for your family in Lafayette, make sure to give us a call.
Ready To Choose Adoption For Your Lafayette Family?
Our adoption agency is ready to help your Lafayette family begin the process for your new family member. If you have any questions about our process or want to know more about our organization, feel free to give us a call at 225-769-8888. We’re here to help you make the right decision for your family.